The Hunter College Libraries honor notable alumnae, Audre Lorde, class of ‘59, a self-described Black lesbian feminist mother warrior poet. After a career as a librarian in public libraries, Lorde lectured throughout the United States, Europe, and Africa, and became a Distinguished Professor of English at Hunter College. In 1991 Audre Lorde was poet laureate of New York State. For more background information on Audre Lorde, see some of Hunter College Libraries online reference resources. For help finding these see our video on Reference Resources, or Ask a Librarian.
Access books online through Hunter College Libraries for the Audre Lorde Now: A Community Read-in for Our Survival event series sponsored by the Presidential Task Force on Racial Equity at Hunter College. Sister Outsider* was the Community Read for fall 2020 and selections of this text are the basis for discussion in the Audre Lorde Now Series.
In addition to accessing other books by Audre Lorde available through Hunter College Libraries, watch A Litany for Survival: The Life and Work of Audre Lorde** in the database Filmakers Library Online.
* Login with your NetID and password. Go to NetID Central if you don't know your NetID and/or password.
** Login with your NetID and password, Once you're in the database, search for Litany for Survival within All videos (from pulldown menu).
Instructions to access Sister Outsider on your own.
- Select the Hunter College Libraries logo at the upper left of this page. Type Sister Outsider in the OneSearch box and select Search. It will appear at the top of the results list.
- Select “See all versions.” You will then see the title listed twice. Select Available online in the first one under the first entry. Then select Black Thought and Culture, the database in which this text can be found.
- You will be prompted to enter your NetID and Password before proceeding to the book. If you don’t know your netid and/or password, go to NetID central to check.
- Read the book online, or download sections of the book.
To download sections of the book:
- Select the printer icon in the bar at the top of the page for the book.
- Next, select the button marked print.
- For Destination open the menu then Save as PDF.
Instructions to access A Litany for Survival: The Life and Work of Audre Lorde on your own.
- Select the Hunter College Libraries logo at the upper left of this page
- Select the Databases tab, go to F, then select Filmakers Library.
- You will be prompted to enter your NetID and password before proceeding to the database.
- Once you're in the database, search for Litany for Survival within All videos (from pulldown menu)
Image of Audre Lorde available as CC By 2.5 on Wikimedia Commons