The Hunter College Libraries (HCL) offer the College community access to a wide variety of services, collections, and spaces for research and teaching. Our team of faculty, staff, and student workers is dedicated to our community. Our work follows the Hunter College Mission and the College’s Strategic Plan; we are student-centered, research-oriented and, by the nature of our diverse collections and faculty’s expertise, multi-disciplinary.
HCL identifies the following as our strengths:
- We welcome our diverse college community and respond to their research and information needs.
- We have strong relationships with a range of academic and support units on campus, allowing us to connect with our community in a variety of ways.
- We are the campus leader in information literacy, teaching users how to find, evaluate, synthesize, and use information responsibly.
- We provide spaces for collaborative and quiet study, reservable study rooms, and access to state-of-the-art technology to support users.
- We provide 24-hour access to reference services and to a robust array of online resources available via our website.
- We collect and provide access to print books and periodicals to support the curriculum in all areas of research, as well as unique archival content in our Archives & Special Collections.
- We continually improve our technological resources, supported by our skilled IT staff, to meet the varied information needs of the college.
- We are a team of experienced researchers whose scholarship advances the field of librarianship and informs our work with our community.
As we move forward, we will build on our strengths to:
- Strengthen current relationships and build new strong strategic partnerships across all academic departments and support units on all campuses.
- Elevate HCL as teaching libraries to align with Hunter’s Institutional Learning Outcomes, especially “Research and Communicate Effectively.”
- Deepen our instruction program by identifying effective ways to integrate information literacy across the curriculum; and expand the libraries curricula relying on the libraries’ faculty’s multidisciplinary expertise.
- Continuously review and assess our collections, both in print and online.
- Listen and respond our community to improve our services and our spaces.
- Continue to embrace the challenges of offering a strong technology environment for our community.
- Prioritize the hiring and retention of diverse and qualified individuals to fill important vacancies in our faculty and staff ranks to meet the goals herein.