- The Main Library is physically accessible at the Floor entrance, across the sky bridge leading from the West Building.
Restrooms and Elevators
- Accessible Elevators: All Floors
- Accessible Women's Restrooms: Floors
- Accessible Men's Restroom: Floor
- Wheelchair accessible CUNY+ Workstations are available on all floors of the Main Library.
Special Facilities and Equipment
Students with a valid ID card from the Office of Disabled Student Services have access to the following equipment in the Main Library:
- 1 Reading Edge (Room E210)
- 3 talking calculators and adapter chargers
- 1 large size tape recorder with headphones
- 1 Braille typewriter
- 2 medium print typewriters (Room E205)
- 1 Visual Tek Voyager XL machine (Room E209)
- 1 Franklin Language Master 6000SE, Speaking reference device, Dictionary-Thesaurus (Reserve Desk)
- 1 Copy Machine - B&W
- 3 dedicated machines with FSReader, ZoomText, Narrator and on screen keyboard
- 1 dedicated machine with FSReader, ZoomText Narrator and on screen keyboard (by the Reference Desk)
To request these equipment:
Present request slips for the portable equipment at the Reserve Desk on Floor along with a current accessible services ID card. After use, return equipment to the same desk. Equipment in rooms E205, E208 and E209 is available through Study Room reservations.
- On Floor of the Main Library, six study rooms are equipped with magnifying lamps are set aside for the exclusive use of accessible patrons.
- To use these rooms, patrons present their current disabled services ID card at the Reserve Desk and sign in.
- Room use is usually limited to two hours; however, if no other patron applies, room use may be extended.
- After patrons have finished using a room, they should report that information to the Reserve Staff.
- A study room reservation calendar is kept at the Reserve Desk. Reservations may be made in person, or by calling the Reserve Desk at 772-4162.
- The library will request materials needed for research that are not available in the Hunter Main library. This includes material at other CUNY schools or in other libraries.
- If the book is at the Health Professions Library or the Schools of Social Work and Public Health Library, contact the Circulation Desk on Floor of the Main Library for assistance.
For materials in other libraries:
- Requests can be made through our ILLiad service. Use your NetID and password to login.
- You will be emailed when the material arrives. Generally the process takes two weeks, but please allow for additional time.
- Materials may be picked up at the Circulation Desk on Floor .
Copying Policies and Procedures
The library will make free copies for disabled patrons of any material that is only available in micro format through Microform Copying in our ILLiad system. Come to the Reference Desk on Floor to receive assistance.
Please note: No material is copied immediately or on demand. No material can leave the building for copying elsewhere.
Circulation Desk staff and/or Student Aides will assist patrons with disabilities with photocopying as requested. To request assistance:
- Ask at the Circulation Desk. If available, a Student Aide will assist the patron at one of the public copy machines or the accessible copy machine on Floor .
- If an Aide is not immediately available, an appointment will be made when an Aide will be available.
Key Library Contacts
Disabled Services Library Liasion
Asst. Prof. Sarah Ward
Reserve Desk Supervisor
Ms. Jeanne Yan
Head, Access Services
Mr. David Donabedian
Mr. Gowan Campbell
Office for Students with Disabilities
East Building, Room 1128