March 6th, 2008 by Steven Kowalik
New York City’s rich array of art museums presents an exciting schedule of exhibitions throughout the year. The following is a selective list of some current art exhibitions, where and when they are being held, and related library resources available to Hunter’s faculty and students. The present blog will concentrate on exhibitions of pre-twentieth century art.
725 Park Avenue (a few blocks from Hunter’s main campus), Admission is free to all Friday 6:00 pm-9:00 pm
- Designed for Pleasure: The World of Edo Japan in Prints and Paintings, 1680 – 1860 (on view through May 4th, 2008)
- Hokusai : genius of the Japanese Ukiyo-e
Hunter Main – Library Stacks – NE1325.K3 A4 1995
- Masterpieces of Japanese prints : the European collections : Ukiyo-e from the Victoria and Albert Museum
Hunter Main – Library Stacks – NE1321.8 .F38 1991
- Images from the floating world : the Japanese print
Hunter Main – Library Stacks – NE1321.8 .L36 1978
200 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn, New York $4 for Students with valid I.D.
- Magic in Ancient Egypt: Image, Word, and Reality (on view until Sept. 28, 2008)
- Goodbye Coney Island?
More than fifty photographs from the Brooklyn Museum tracing the evolution of this fabled part of New York over the past 125 years; on view until April 6, 2008)
- Magic in ancient Egypt / Geraldine Pinch.
Hunter Main – Library Stacks – BF1591 .P56 1995
- Coney Island : the people’s playground
Hunter Main – Library Stacks – F129 .C75 I46 2002
- America‘s boardwalks : from Coney Island to California
Hunter Main – Library Stacks – GV53 .L54 2006
1 East 70th Street (within easy walking distance of the HC Main Campus), $5 admission for students with valid identification; on Sundays, pay what you wish from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Special Loan (from the Museo di Capodimonte in Naples): Parmigianino’s Antea: A Beautiful Artifice (on view through April 27, 2008)
- Parmigianino / David Ekserdijian
Hunter Main Library Stacks N6923 .P2975 E47 2006
- The art of Parmigianino / David Franklin
Hunter Main Library Stacks ND623 .M55 A4 2003b
THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART
1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street (suggested student admission, $10)
- Poussin and Nature: Arcadian Visions (on view through May 11, 2008)
- Gustave Courbet (on view through May 18, 2008)
- Poussin and nature : arcadian visions
Hunter Reserve – 2nd Floor – ND553 .P8 A4 2008
- Nicolas Poussin’s landscape allegories / Sheila McTighe.
Hunter Main Library Stacks ND553.P8 M38 1996
- Courbet / James H. Rubin.
Hunter Main Library Stacks ND553 .C9 R825 1997
- Gustave Courbet / by Sarah Faunce.
Hunter Main Library Stacks ND553.C9 F28 1993
NEUE GALERIE NEW YORK
1048 Fifth Avenue at 86th Street (student admission $10)
- Gustav Klimt: The Ronald S. Lauder and Serge E. Sabarsky Collections (on view through June 30, 2008)
- Gustav Klimt : the Ronald S. Lauder and Serge Sabarsky collections
Hunter Main – Special Collection, 2nd floor – ND538 .K57 A4 2007
- Gustav Klimt, modernism in the making / Colin B. Bailey, general editor.
Hunter Main Library Stacks N6811.5 .K55 A4 2001