November 1st, 2011 by Lisa Finder
The library has a trial of a database called African American Archives. It provides over 1 million pages of original historical documents. These documents include:
- Records relating to court cases involving the Spanish schooner Amistad
- Military service records of volunteer soldiers who served with the United States Colored Troops (1861-1866)
- A list of slaves of a plantation owner
- 18th century records of the auctions of slaves
- Records concerning slavery and emancipation in the Danish West Indies (1672-1917)
- Documents of the American Colonization Society, an organization which helped to establish Liberia ( a colony for freed American slaves).
Explore this database to discover important primary source materials concerning the history of African Americans in this country. To access the database click here.